Eating chocolate in Lent
I suppose if I happened to say one day 'Tuesdays are for Chocolate' you'd all go 'yeah yeah' and it wouldnt have quite the same impact. (By the way, did you notice our birthday fell on a Wed, how useful was that!)
Anyway, I'm taking this challenge to put on weight very seriously and today I was accused of having a belly! Chocolate, cakes, sweets, children's leftovers it's all going down. We saw Justin our Registrar for our first 3 week check up on Friday. They weighed me once and then re-weighed me without my boots on because I'd put on so much! He decided that I looked so well that they'd get me back in for a check up in 7 weeks rather than 3!
I was delighted!
There was a time when I was a bit worried at the prospect of time out from the fight but in fact it feels great - a real gift. I was washing my face this morning (and checking the new hair do) and for a just a moment, I virtually forgot I was poorly. I do inevitably remind myself immediately, I can't help it. It feels wrong to pretend something so threatening isn't really that bad, but at least there are some moments when the illness isn't right in front of my nose.
Friday's appointment was also funny because I think Chris and I both went wanting a Do's and Dont's List for how to live through this next phase. Chris pointed out to Justin that chatting late into the night, skipping meals and being at the beck and call of two kids (he didn't mention running events at church and treking all round the country to see friends too) was probably not helping my recovery from the effects of chemo. Basically Justin plus the colleague medic sitting in on the consultation, said 'whatever she's doing seems to be working, let her be!' He said at one point 'if all our cancer patients had a handle on how to do it as well as Ali, we'd have it easy'
So I went home and had an afternoon nap, to prove to myself that Doctors aren't always right - I think I could actually use some more sleep! And anyway I was tired.
So, just to be clear, my blood test last time didn't indicate anything alarming (3,520 up from 3,250 at the time of the scan, and a long way off the scarey 45,000) . They were therefore confident enough that I don't need to see anyone till Easter time (Thurs 13th April to be precise). I did another blood test on Friday and will do one the week before I see them. That way we can build up a picture of cancer activity post chemo. Obviously we all know that things won't stand still, but what we dont know is, how long it'll take to get bad again. More chemo at some point is a certainty but this respite in the treatment is for now. That's good enough for me.
Better blog off to bed. 'Rest is my friend, rest is my friend...'

7 Comments:
darling girl,
Rules have always been for breaking!! Glad you feel positive and that you are having a breather, all the rest will come a day at a time.
Love to you all,
Manda xxxx
10:47 am
At least chocolate is cheaper than champagne. Enjoy it!
Lots of love,
Lucy XXXXXX
3:28 pm
At least chocolate is cheaper than champagne. Enjoy it!
Lots of love,
Lucy XXXXXX
3:28 pm
As Sheila Cassidy once said - some people choose Lent, other people have it imposed upon them.
You have more than enough Lent in your life already.
Keep on tasting the sweetness of life and keep on being part of it for the rest of us.
Doug
8:12 pm
Hi Ali. Its Steve and Sue Dalton here. We're new to this Blogging so hope you receive this ok.We are still in touch with Kate and Ed and Kim occasionally and also know Cathy's(Natasha and Aidens Mum)sister Sue really well from our church.Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this challenging time and if you need a rest with beautiful scenery nearby you are welcome to come and stay.There is plenty of room in the house but if you prefer and it is not booked you could stay in our small holiday cottage which is next to us free of charge. our email is millholme@cumbria.wanadoo.co.uk and our website is www.millholmehouse.co.uk
We are enjoying life in rural Cumbria and have 2 children aged 6 & 8.
God bless and lots of love from
Steve and Sue
xx
9:01 pm
Dear Ali and Chris, I have been reflecting on 2 Cor 1 3-7. And finding a source of comfort and strength. And want to share the words in full with you.
Let us give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the merciful Father, the God from whom all help comes!
He helps us in all our troubles, so that we are able to help others who have all kinds of troubles, using the same help that we ourselves have received from God.
Just as we have a share in Christ's many sufferings, so also through Christ we share in God's great help.
If we suffer, it is for your help and salvation; if we are helped, then you too are helped and given the strength to endure with patience the same sufferings that we also endure.
So our hope in you is never shaken; we know that just as you share in our sufferings, you also share in the help we receive.
I am helped and inspired by your unshaken journey, with God's help. Bless you.
6:38 pm
Hi Ali---just wanted to to say-- that I am praying you.I guess that is the best I can offer at the moment---am very glad that its God who has the responsibility for looking after you--and He clearly is!
Much love
Stefan
9:31 am
Post a Comment
<< Home