a few words and pictures posted by a few people to keep a few other people up to date with ali

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Life and death stuff and the bits in between

You're just going to have to read this how I wrote it. It'd be boring to flatten out this particular rollacoster and re-write it from today.

This is what I wrote last Thursday morning:

I still don't really know what a Blog is. I know what it isn't! It isn't a diary because there are too many gaps. It isn't a journal because you all get to read it. It isn't a snapshot because there's too much processing and reflecting.

How can it possibly be that I haven't yet blogged the fact that Judy, Chris' mum, my mother-in-law died on Monday 3rd in the evening? Her funeral was last Thursday.

How can it be that even grief fights for space to do its stuff on us? How can we make sure that all the very close up things in our lives don't block out the the colossal life and death moments in our lives. The death of the person who brought you into life. The passing of a relationship that underpins all relationships to follow.

Chris is grieving his mum in his way. At the moment a straight forward sense of relief that she doesn't have to suffer any more the endless diabetes-related hardships. He has enormous gratitude for who she was and what she did. It seems to me, looking on, that he knows the gift of letting go. Chris accepts that his mum's love for him got simpler and therefore stronger towards the end. He wrote a beautiful meditation based on the prayer 'God be in my head and in my understanding'. Email us if you'd like to read it.

It's always felt strange to me that this blog is so clearly mine, even though this journey is such a shared one. Even more so now I'm the one telling you about Judy.

Then I wrote this on a scrap of paper the following day:

How strange to start this blog as Ali-the-pretend-poorly and end it as Ali-the-patient-again. You have all been hoping (and probably rightly assuming) that the infuriating silence my end is because I was too busy being well to get round to blogging anything.

Well to be honest, you were right but just before yesterday's entry I went for a blood test. I instigated this because I had my suspicions that I might be a tad poorly. I was feeling a bit flakey but you must remember temperatures in the city have been unusually hot, everyone was feeling a bit flakey!

I've just held it together through Judy's death and funeral; hard news that Amanda's fight with breast cancer is back on; Asha's little brush with A&E Minor Injuries and a fab but extremely full-on church weekend away (which I helped organise). I'll admit it - my legs were aching pretty permanently and my ability to manage and enjoy the kids was (how shall I say?) seriously lacking.

Anyway it takes an awful lot for me to give into physical frailty so I'm quite proud of myself that my blood test yesterday showed a very low red blood cell count (I think 6.9 for those of you who know about these things).

Converstaions between my fab GP and my Consultant got me straight into Hospital for a swift blood transfusion and a look at what's going on.

It's Friday and we were supposed to be enroute to Leeds to see Chris' brother Andy and then on up to Scotland for a brief holiday with Doug and Rachel (with Neil and Lynda) before we're all due back down south for a Brighton wedding.

It's interesting how efficively I have stopped thinking about being 'the patient'. Hence an episode like this catches us completely unprepared. It's so shocking that I keep finding it strangely funny. Having said that, there is something all too familar and rehearsed about this hospital visit. It was almost exactly ten months ago that I had my first ever blood transfusion following the endoscopy (camera down my throat).

I cant help the comparison - Judy's life was so affected by illness that it is sadly really hard for me to imagine how she might have lived, had she been well. Basically illness changes you. My (supposedly life threatening) illness has, in reality, affected me so little this far, that it's still hard to even allow it to interupt our holiday plans! What are the changes? Where are the allowances?

And now - written today, Monday night, after a four day hospital stay:

My holiday plans certainly were interupted as the Medics, in their wisdom, decided to do a chest x-ray, an ECG, an endoscopy and a CT scan for me. They also kept me attached to a drip for three of the four days, giving me potassium and glucose and lots of saline solution no doubt!

Chris and I had possibly our hardest moment since my diagnosis under the vines in the gardens at the hospital. Chris had been holding it together through the previous few weeks in the knowledge that very soon we would all be in beautiful surroundings with important friends and space for our kids to be less demanding. He saw this disappearing as I was being offered NHS hospitality until (at their convenience) a scan on Monday.

I, at the same time and with dawning realisation, saw a bed, a telly, a book and a dozen different nurses looking after me for a few days and it was painfully clear to me that I needed to stay put. We resolved that Chris should take the kids and go up north without me. Obvious perhaps, but very painful for us to admit to each other that we hadn't realised that I was that exhausted and that Chris was that desperate. At that moment we needed completely different things.

Now out, I feel the urge to write not just a blog but a book on my Homerton Hospital experience, but I won't. Or at least, tonight I won't, as tomorrow morning I'm heading north to join the gang and be looked after. ..

I've undoubtedly taken a knock. It's hard for me not to push myself and it's hard for those around me if I lurch from ALL GO to NO GO without much warning.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rustypants said...

ali -

i stumbled on your blog last year at some point - late october, early november - and have been lurking ever since. reading about your struggles, your faith, your family, the ups and downs - it's been good for me. i've had you and the family on my prayer list and check often to see if you've added another chapter.

my wife and i had been married for 14 years when breast cancer struck. in the 2 1/2 years since, it's been a non-stop rollercoaster of all sorts of ailments, the easiest of which has turned out to be the breast cancer. many operations for skin cancer (on her sweet face and head) have been done (and another quite large one next month on the very top of her head), job loss, and other things led to a snap that was diagnosed as bi-polar disorder.

it's been difficult for us as a family because i've been a youth minister for many years and people in the churches we've been a part of - they don't want to hear about the minister/minister's wife being ill and struggling, especially ongoing illnesses and continual cancers. my church asked me to leave at the beginning of this year (after three years) because they didn't want to help us through these crises anymore.

i envy your ability to blog freely about your struggles, your triumphs and your failures. i think it's fantastic how family (local and extended) have rallied around you and continue to support you.

know that i'm reading and praying for you.

scott

5:09 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ali

I was talking to Mark last night about Mandy's progress since her operation and the crucial meeting with her consultant next Thurs to discuss her treatment plan. I had no immediate concerns about you, so it was before I got round to asking after you that he told me your unexpected and definitely not welcome news - ALL GO to NO GO without warning, as you say.

Gwyn joins me in wishing you (and Chris and Sue) a restful and truly Peace-full time - and every possible happiness that you can find in whatever the future holds.

Johngee and Gwyn

9:50 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ali-fantastic blog....you wrote so clearly and succinctly about something that seemed so crazy and difficult at times. You no longer need Chris or I to check the blog!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...every moment. And I promise I'll try to stop telling how to live your life. You are special. Huge love to the other half.Twinnie

10:12 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you hon. I am so glad for the up times in your life.. hopefully they help you through the hard times. At least you will never go through things alone - God at the very least is always around-followed closely by Chris, your family and friends - where able!
My heart really goes out to Scott that his church have turned on him and his wife so..christians hey! (And I know I am judging here without knowing or understanding the whole situation which perhaps is not wise), but hopefully as Christians/friends/family we can be something better for you, Chris, Asha and Kirin.
Am so sorry that I am missing you when I come to London on Friday, but hope that you will have had a good few days in Scotland and have been able to relax & enjoy yourselves.
Know that we are always here no matter now much time passes. Looking forward to catching up with you all at the end of August!

Take good care
Love to all
Jen and boys xxx

10:30 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love to Chris on letting his Mom go. I'd love to read the prayer he wrote. Losing a parent is hard - you "move up" a generation. Even half moving up is brutal. Interesting that you say Judy's love for Chris became "simpler". I wonder if it works the other way, too.

Glad we could send our love via your Mom & Dad, Ali. Your whole family is in our prayers. And especially when exhaustion and desperation meet under the vines.
Carol

9:01 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about all this, it's just rubbish.

11:01 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ali

Hope that journey to the glorious North, and the even better Scotland, was really good when you eventually got to go. It must have been horrible to have to stay back.

Just wanted to let you know that we're still here, with you in prayer, on this part of your life journey.

Somehow all these hills and valleys in life don't seem right. When you're in a valley the hills seem so far off. When you're up a hill it sometimes doesn't seem real. But when you are someone bigger than the hills and valleys; or when you are the daughter of someone who was bigger than the hills and valleys how do they look then?

I'm not sure we can express that, but sometimes we try to glimpse His way of seeing things; when neither height nor depth can separate us from God's love (Romans 8), there is a sanctuary, a special place where God is, for you and Chris, Asha and Kirin.

God bless you and keep you

George, Savi, Mica and Anya xxxx

p.s. I got a bit confused here as an accountant trying to do something artistic!! If I made no sense or it was unhelpful please ignore me. After all, it's only God who is still worthy of our attention even when He (seemingly) makes no sense at all!! Beyond our understanding but not beyond our reach.

11:02 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,

I hope that Homerton Hospitals hospitality did the trick for you, and the blessed and beautiful north did it for Chris, (and you when you got there)?! I don't feel remotely qualified to say anything useful except that I know in the weeks after my dad died there was a sharpness of focus and purpose that I had rarely known before, or infact since. My way of saying Chris knew what he needed and had to go after it. Likewise gorgeous girlie, whilst understanding you all needed a family break, on this occasion you knew that only a hospital (on this occasion) could provide what you needed.
You do achieve an awful lot 99.9% of the time lovely, and sorry to say it but I suppose the odd 'go slow' given what you and your body are facing, won't be a bad thing.
Loving you all as ever,

Manda xxxxxxx

2:40 pm

 
Blogger rodandvivi said...

Ali, Chris, Asha 7 Kirin
Blessings . . . as always. What a delight to see your wonderful self at Angelle & Danny's wedding on beautiful Brighton beach and we pray it was a good day for Chris and kids. rodB

5:46 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,

I'm finally getting down to write my first ever reply to your blogging!

Thank you for so much Ali. Your blog has been incredibly valuable for reasons big and small. Your honesty and sincerity leaves me blown away and facing life at its core reality - the pure joy and pure pain that is all held together in one journey, day by day.

It was great to see you at the wedding and you looked beautiful, as always.

Love to you, to Chris, Asha, and Kirin, see you soon,

Kirsty xx.

12:14 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Artist: Jane Siberry with k.d.lang
Lyrics
Song: Calling All Angels


a man is placed upon the steps, a baby cries
and high above the church bells start to ring
and as the heaviness the body oh the heaviness settles in
somewhere you can hear a mother sing

then it's one foot then the other as you step out onto the road
how much weight? how much weight?
then it's how long? and how far?
and how many times before it's too late?

calling all angels
calling all angels
walk me through this one
don't leave me alone
calling all angels
calling all angels
we're cryin' and we're hurtin'
and we're not sure why...

and every day you gaze upon the sunset
with such love and intensity
it's almost...it's almost as if
if you could only crack the code
then you'd finally understand what this all means

but if you could...do you think you would
trade in all the pain and suffering?
ah, but then you'd miss
the beauty of the light upon this earth
and the sweetness of the leaving

calling all angels
calling all angels
walk me through this one
don't leave me alone
callin' all angels
callin' all angels
we're tryin'
we're hopin'
we're hurtin'
we're lovin'
we're cryin'
we're callin'
'cause we're not sure how this goes

11:34 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home